Langley, BC — When Sarah Lottis (CAN) traveled to Europe and saw a 4-year-old named Rhapsody, she didn’t need to be convinced that the young horse had talent.
“The way that he was and the way that he free jumped at only four years old really made us think that he was going to be really, really special and potentially going to be one of my top horses. He’s really becoming that very quickly,” Lottis said.
Now 10, Rhapsody jumped Lottis to victory in the Domino High Voltage Grand Prix 1.40m Sunday at Thunderbird Show Park. The pair bested a competitive three-horse jump-off, crossing the timers of Peter Holmes’ (CAN) short course in 41.24 seconds. Justin Prather (CAN) and Grazie finished second (42.13s), with Tiffany Foster (CAN) and Kadans third (4/44.75s).
“That was a really fun jump off. When you only have three in it, that’s a really awesome way to have it, because, you’re first, second or third already,” Lottis said. “But [I was] going behind Tiffany Foster, who we all know can go really fast, and Justin Prather—he’s actually one of my long-term best friends—who I know can put everything on the line.”
Last to jump-off, Lottis was able to watch her competitors. She deduced she could pull ahead by utilizing her horse’s stride.
“I watched [Prather] go and I was like, ‘My horse has a huge stride. I think I can actually probably leave out and be a little bit quicker.’ So I wasn’t sure I could catch him, but I thought I had a pretty good shot. And so we went for it and tried to get it done.”
Lottis is based in Campbell River on Vancouver Island, where she also works as a Registered Nurse. Juggling multiple hats, she has been a regular competitor at Thunderbird Show Park for more than a decade. She has her sights set firmly on tbird’s September shows, where she hopes to step Rhapsody up to the international level. It would be a first for both horse and rider.
“The plan is to jog in September and do his first FEI week and hopefully jump the 1.50m class for the first time in the second week,” she said. “He’s turned into such a competitor that really wants to do it and really wants to jump clear.”
Domino High Voltage Grand Prix 1.40m
Horse / Rider / Nationality / Owner / Faults / Time
1. Rhapsody / Sarah Lottis / CAN / Kevin Lottis / 0/0 41.24
2. Grazie / Justin Prather / CAN / Bradon Equestrian Ltd / 0/0 42.13
3. Kadans / Tiffany Foster / CAN / Artisan Farms LLC / 0/4 44.75
4. Casirado 3 / Mandy Porter / USA / Risen Eq Holdings LLC / 4 79.42
5. G-Star / Kara Chad / CAN / Kara Chad / 4 82.4
6. Filoucha / Philippa Melski / USA / Buffy Hanschka / 4 84.51
7. Aztlan / John Perez / COL / John Perez / 8 79.89
8. Livius P / Lilah Nakatani / USA / Lilah Nakatani / 8 81.22
9. Correct Blue SZ / Kyle King / USA / Mykaela Palleschi / 8 81.48
10. Dorado / Darrin Dlin / CAN / Timberlea Farms Ltd / 8 83.56