Langley, BC — Anderson Lima’s (BRA) course in the MarBill Hill U25 1.40m proved a difficult code to crack Saturday afternoon. The speed test saw just a single clear round from its 19 competitors, with the win going to Jaydan Stettner (CAN) and Ielinea JTL.
The pair finished their round with a clear score card, crossing the timers in 67.24 seconds. Stella Chernoff (CAN) and Connador finished second as the fastest four-faulters (4/65.01). Nyah Chernoff (CAN) finished third with Fair Play d’Esquelmes (4/65.32).
“When I got out [on course] and I was riding, I was was quite surprised at how many decisions you really had to make out there,” Stettner said. “I thought it was a pretty hard course, considering there was really only one turn for anybody to make to be quick. Otherwise, it was a foot race, basically. But [my] mare jumped spectacular.”
Stettner has had Ielinea JTL for two years and credits the mare for helping take her riding to the next level.
“I’ve had a few horses throughout the years, but she’s the one that expects you to be there with her,” she explained. “So it’s been really nice for me to have to think about that when I’m showing, and it pushes me to be better every time I get on her. And [it’s helping me be better] for the young ones I’m bringing up as well.”
A native of Saskatchewan, Stettner’s early focus was in the sport of figure skating—that is, until her parents moved to a farm, and her father expressed an interest in owning horses.
“My mom said, ‘Well, we’re not buying horses just to feed them and look at them. So somebody’s got to ride!’ And that’s basically how I got into it,” she said.
Now, the 22-year-old is looking to graduate from the University of Regina early with a degree in human justice, so she can fully focus on riding. For now, a U25 win is the highlight of her summer vacation.
“Being here is one of my biggest accomplishments right now, really,” Stettner said. “I’d love to eventually get into the bigger level—1.50m, maybe 1.60m one day...[I have] big goals.”
MarBill Hill U25 1.40m
Horse / Rider / Nationality / Owner / Faults / Time
1. Ielinea JTL / Jaydan Stettner / CAN / Jaydan Stettner / 0 67.24
2. Connador / Stella Chernoff / CAN / Stump Lake Ranch and Cattle Co / 4 65.01
3. Fair Play d’Esquelmes / Nyah Chernoff / CAN / Stump Lake Ranch and Cattle Co / 4 65.32
4. Onyx / Georgia Knight / CAN / Joelle Froese / 4 65.61
5. Ecolano vs Romano / Georgia Knight / CAN / Georgia Knight / 4 68.24
6. Naxos 27 / Dylan Jordan / CAN / Mariam Ameli / 4 69.05
7. Lestat OLD / Ashley Arnoldt / CAN / Jennifer Arnoldt / 4 70.36
8. BP Braveheart / Cassie Gorsline / CAN / GBBS International Ltd / 4 70.4
9. First Focus Z / Clara McDanniel / USA / Clara McDanniel / 4 70.87
10. Deister Z / Olivia Stephenson / CAN / Olivia Stephenson / 4 75.6