Matthew Sampson (GBR) recorded his sixth win of the Summer Fort Welcome in the Maui Jim Grand Prix 1.40m, the national standard feature of the week at tbird.
Those wins came with a remarkable four different horses. Elisa BJX was one of two horses to record multiple victories. In the Maui Jim Grand Prix, the 10-year-old Oldenburg mare bested a 10-horse jump-off—by nearly three seconds.
The winning time over Peter Holmes’ 1.40m track was 36.71 seconds. Kyle King (USA) and Indezz V finished second (39.5 seconds), with Zume Gallaher (USA) and Edita third (40.59).
“I think probably my draw [helped me],” said Sampson. “I was second to go [in the jump-off], and I knew there were some fast horses to come. I just tried to go as fast as I could. I know [Elisa BJX] is very fast also and helps me a lot. A couple [competitors after us] went really fast and had a fence down. It just played in our favor.”
Sampson and Elisa BJX have been partnered for only a short time, jumping their first classes at Spruce Meadows in June. The mare is owned by prominent Mexican owner, Salvador Onate, who also owns Evora BJX, who won the Diamond Valley Ranch U10 Young Horses stake Saturday at tbird.
“I rode some young horses for him and an older horse last year, and it’s just continued,” Sampson said. “It’s been super. The horses have had a great weekend.”
$10,000 Maui Jim Grand Prix 1.40m
- Elisa BJX / Matthew Sampson / GBR / Matthew Sampson / 0/0 36.71
- Indezz V / Kyle King / USA / Strasburg Morin Inc. / 0/0 39.5
- Edita / Zume Gallaher / USA / Blue Gate Stables, LLC / 0/0 40.59
- Calacas D Aubigny / Kara Chad / CAN / Kara Chad / 0/4 39
- Concolue / Nicole Haunert / USA / Cherokee Show Horses Inc. / 9/4 42
- Van Tao RCG / Christopher Lowe / CAN / Christopher Lowe / 0/4 47.75
- Chief / Ella McCaw / USA / Highland Stables, LLC / 0/8 47.15
- Face to Face / Dylan Munro / CAN / Jonathan Asselin / 0/8 55.7
- Indigo van de Muggenhoek / Zume Gallaher / USA / Blue Gate Stables, LLC 2 87.63
- Havana / Kassidy Keith / CAN / Cheryl Keith / 4 78.04