Clear rounds were hard to come by in the CSI3* tbird 1.35m. Jaimie Ackerman (CAN) and Driek posted the only double-clear performance to take the win, crossing the timers of Peter Holmes’ shortened track in 41.22 seconds.
Bretton Chad (CAN) and Zirkana Adelheid Z finished second as the only other combination to make the jump-off; they pulled a rail at the final fence (40.65 seconds). Gareth Graves (CAN) and Cassius Z finished third with a single time fault in the first round.
“I think that there were points [on course] where you were kind of galloping across the field, so you could really open up, and then points where you kind of had to pull it back together,” Ackerman said.
“We kind of went for the more forward gallop, and it really worked out for us today.”
Ackerman and Driek have been partnered for three years, and the 14-year-old gelding has brought Ackerman to her first international classes. Based out of Vancouver, she trains with Lisa Carlsen and Dayton Gorsline out of Alberta.
“[Driek] is the first horse I’ve ever done FEI [classes] on,” she said. “Last year was my first FEI event ever at this horse show, so I just love the whole experience, and I’m learning as I go.”
$1,500 CSI3* tbird 1.35m
- Driek / Jaimie Ackerman / CAN / Jamie Ackerman / 0/0 41.22
- Zirkana Adelheid Z / Bretton Chad / CAN / Stone Ridge Farms / 0/4 40.65
- Cassius Z / Gareth Graves / CAN / Jillian Halina / 1 71.4
- Cameron Diaz 5 / Guillermo Obligado / Milberry Farm, LLC / 4 68.94
- Congress de la Charmille Z / Kimberly Wallace / CAN / Kimberly Wallace / 6 72.82
- Fair Katie VDH / Maddy Riddle / CAN / Brian Wander Helm / 8 67.56
- Quidamo F / Kara Chad / CAN / Kara Chad / 7 78.08
- WH Contiago / Madison Sproule / USA / Madison Sproule / 38 100.77